|In Memoriam Notice Barnsley Chronicle 7 December 1918 |
(with thanks to Barnsley Archives)
Walter Newsome was born abt. Q1 1877 in Barnsley, Yorkshire.
James Newsome who was born abt. 1855 in Heckmondwike, Yorkshire and died in Q2 1911 in Barnsley, Yorkshire.
In the 1911 census he was a Coal Miner, Hewer living at 44 Rock Street, Barnsley.
He was married in Barnsley in Q4 1876 to Frances Witham who was born abt. 1855 in Dodworth, Yorkshire, she died Q3 1903 in Barnsley.
Position in family: The oldest of 6 surviving children in 1911.
1. Walter Newsome was born in Jan 1877 in Barnsley, Yorks. He died on 01 Dec 1917 in Palestine. WW1 DIED
2. George Newsome was born about 1881 in Barnsley, Yorkshire. He married Emma Goldsby. She was born about 1883 in Sandal, Yorkshire.
3. Harry Newsome was born about 1885 in Barnsley, Yorkshire.
4. Lily Newsome was born in Oct 1887 in Barnsley, Yorkshire. She married Arthur Winterbottom, child of William Winterbottom and Mary, on 15 Apr 1911 in Barnsley, St Mary, Yorkshire. Arthur was born about 1885 in Barnsley, Yorkshire.
5. Frank Newsome was born about 1891 in Barnsley Silkstone, Yorkshire.
6. Sidney Newsome was born about 1894 in Barnsley Silkstone, Yorkshire. He married Florence Bailey on 25 Dec 1913 in Ardsley. WW1 SERVICE
Home address, age and occupation:
1881: 36 Slack Hills, Barnsley, age 4.
1891: 52 Rock Street, Barnsley, age 14, Glass Bottle Hand.
1901: 44 Rock Street, Barnsley, age 24, Glass Bottle Maker
1911: 48 Summer Street, Barnsley, age 34, Bottle Blower.
He married Annie Hartshorne on 30 Mar 1902 in Barnsley, St George, Yorkshire. She was born about 1884 in Denaby, Yorkshire.
1. James Newsome was born about 1903 in Barnsley, Yorkshire, baptised on 23 May 1907 in Barnsley, St Mary, West Yorkshire.
2. Edith Newsome was born in Jan 1905 in Barnsley, Yorkshire, baptised on 23 May 1907 in Barnsley, St Mary, West Yorkshire.
3. Lily Newsome was born about 1908 in Barnsley, Yorkshire.
4. Anne Newsome was born about 1909 in Barnsley, Yorkshire.
Enlisted: Enlistment (mobilisation) date estimated from gratuity payment, March 1915, age 38
Regiment and Battalion: Royal Scots Fusiliers 1st/5th Battalion
Service number and rank: 241572 Private
Awards: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Death: 1 December 1917, age 41
Buried at: Ramleh War Cemetery, Palestine
Grave Reference: H. 18.
Barnsley, Redfearn Brothers Glassworks & Aldham Works Memorial Tablet
Links and Notes:
Lives of the First World War
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
He died in 32 Field Ambulance Palestine.
We can find no picture of this man in the Barnsley newspapers, or report of his death. The 'In Memoriam' notice shown above was published one year later.
This biography was submitted to the Barnsley War Memorials Project by Peter West in August 2016.